Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Retro" resources.

I challenge each and every one of you who homeschool to find a Retro resource and add it to your curriculum, and soon!!

A couple of weeks back, we spent an unplanned afternoon with my daughter's paternal grandparents at their equine sanctuary. When we were getting ready to leave, her grandma gave me a bunch of books, magazines and old school stuff - mainly the "teacher's copy" of books. These could be considered "Retro" by some or discarded and useless by others. I just love the "old" way things were organized and written, the pictures etc. Special thanks to Donna Kyle for these GREAT items. I know we're going to have a wonderful time with them!

This one is older than I am!

As you can see, things look pretty much the same as they did 39 years ago:


Well ok, the girl's clothes don't quite look the same do they?

And this one?? I WISH text books were this colorful now:

And don't even get me started on how this proves inflation:

Some assorted workbooks, etc:


A "mystery" book:

Mystery solved:

Inside the mystery book:

And then there's this little workbook:

Looks innocent enough right?

Oh no!! Ray's lost his marbles:

And frankly, I don't even want to know why Jack had THREE to begin with. Poor guy, then he lost two of them.... He's going to need some serious therapy for YEARS.
Just makes me wonder why the boys keep losing things...of such... importance...

Oh, and you've got to love this one!

And finally, some magazines - which are really great - you can use them for all kinds of stuff - art projects, reference (such as finding pictures of things), cutting out words to make sentences etc.


Just goes to show that there are all kinds of resources out there - and just because they're dated, used or discarded, does NOT mean you can't make use of them. Especially now, when we should be focusing on how to make things last, learning to repurpose these old text books is a really great idea! New stuff is nice, but these will also allow me to teach my son an important lesson - that no matter how much things change, they really stay the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment